Rocklin Ranch Veterinary Hospital’s Blog
10 Reasons to Be Thankful for Our Pets
The Thanksgiving season is a time to pause and give thanks for all of the blessings and joy. Our family members and loved ones are up on that list, and of course, our wonderful pet companions.
Pets bring so many positives to our lives, it’s hard to only list a few. But since Thanksgiving isn’t Thanksgiving without giving thanks where thanks is due, the team at Rocklin Ranch Veterinary Hospital is here to show some love to our furry ones.
10 Wonderful Reasons to Give Thanks for Pets
- They keep us healthy. Studies have shown that having pets help us stay healthier. Owning a pet lowers blood pressure and pulse rate, reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease. Pet owners also report lower cholesterol levels than those who don’t have pets.
- They reduce stress. Whether cat or dog, stroking a furry one relieves stress and tension. The act of cuddling your pet can release endorphins and other neurotransmitters than encourage ease, relaxation, and calm.
- They get us connected. Most fur friends need to get out of the house, whether that is a trip to the park or a visit with loved ones. In fact, older people with dogs have more opportunity for social interaction from the simple fact that they take their dogs out for walks. What’s better than walking or playing with pets than having another pet owner and their furry companion to join in the fun?
- They relieve loneliness. Having a pet companion can serve as a support for those who live alone. They give us purpose and companionship, relieving feelings of loneliness and depression.
- They make us more lighthearted. Our pets, like children, can bring smiles to our faces with their unabashed exuberance and lighthearted way of approaching the world. It’s hard not to smile when your adorable furry one is doing something goofy. Lighten up and see the world through their eyes!
- They offer unconditional love. When the chips are down and the world seems overwhelming, there is nothing better than to come home to your pet. Pets love us through thick and thin. They are the one person who never notices our flaws, or can disappoint us. They’re the best friends, never expecting anything in return.
- They teach us to stay in the moment. Distraction is the way of the world. With bells, tones, traffic, and a million other little things demanding time and attention, pets teach us to stay present.
- They get us moving. Dog owners will attest to having to drag themselves out into the cold, rain, or snow because their dogs need a walk. Dogs and even cats can motivate us to move, whether that’s a walk, jog, bike ride, or a game of hide and seek in the home.
- They are great listeners. I don’t know any pet who has ever said, “I don’t have time to listen.” Have you? And they keep all of those embarrassing secrets!
- They teach us true devotion. Pets look to us for food, shelter, and love. They teach us to care for those who cannot do anything for us but love us wholeheartedly. They are worth all of it.
We hope this Thanksgiving you take a moment to give thanks to your sweet pet companion and know that they care so much for you in return. From all of us at Rocklin Ranch, Happy Thanksgiving!
If you have any questions about your pet, or would like to schedule an appointment, please call us.