Ah, the season of love… Valentine’s Day is around the corner and it’s likely most pet owners will be seeking out creative, social ways to celebrate their whiskered friends. After all, four-legged sweethearts make our lives that much better, and in many ways, they are endeared to us through their loyalty, unconditional love, and unbridled enthusiasm.
So, let’s take some time to explore some ways to share this special holiday with our animal companions.
Safe Valentine’s Day Activities for Your Pet
Does your heart belong to your cat or dog? If so, you’re not alone! Whether you are a DIY craft lover, a dedicated volunteer, or an outdoor enthusiast, here are some ways pet owners can celebrate their furriest cupids.
- Design and sew a Valentine-themed sweater, jacket, or plush toy (for your pet and the pets of loved ones)
- Bake up a delicious batch of heart-shaped dog or cat cookies (check out Pinterest for homemade pet treats)
- Pamper your furry friend with a wonderful day at the spa (i.e. grooming salon) and step out in style with a new haircut, trimmed nails, and a fresh scent
- Adopt your dog’s favorite park for the day and host a dog friendly clean-up (poop scooping included) and day of rowdy play
- Senior pets or those with anxiety can benefit from a massage – that’s right, therapeutic massage for pets can be relaxing and have a myriad of health benefits
- Hold a contest for the cutest ‘pets in love’ or ‘my pet valentine’ photo on Instagram or Facebook – the winning prize could be some of the homemade treats you made with other pet- and baking-loving friends
- Come up with a project, such as care kits for shelter pets, and invite friends, family, and neighbors to assist in putting these packages together (along with fur companions) – then donate to a favorite animal shelter